Monday, January 14, 2013

Assignment 9: The Structure of Education in the Contemporary U.S.

My school career began when I was three years old, when my parents chose to enter me into preschool. Their decision to put me in preschool was mainly because they wanted to me be socialized before I entered into the elementary school as a 5 year old. They chose a preschool that would be less focused on actual curriculum, and more focused on teaching children how to behave, make friends, and work with others. I was incredibly shy during my preschool years, and, at one point,teachers feared I would have a difficult time adapting to the elementary environment.

Gladly, preschool did it's job, and when I began  kindergarten I had come out of my shell, at least a little. I went to a school that was located only a couple miles away from my house at the time. My parents not only liked the convenience of the location, but also chose the school because it was very culturally diverse and, as my mom says, had an overall "good feel to it". She liked the diversity, because she thought it would prepare me for the real world and allow me to experience all different kinds of people and cultures. Throughout elementary school, I enjoyed school for the most part. I had a large group of friends, was well behaved, and did a good job in all my classes. I was apart of an advanced spelling group called "Benicula" in second grade, and starting in 4th grade, I was chosen to be a part of Challenge (advanced) reading and math. At the time I did not give much thought to why exactly I was in school. I did the best I could to get good grades and behave well but I took school for granted as just a part of life, and did not connect it to the fact they it was preparing me to succeed in the real world.


Standardized Testing
Throughout elementary school and junior high, I basically went through the motions of the system. I tried hard on my work, and was well behaved, simply because I had been taught that that was what you are supposed to do. The first time I really started to have a grasp of the entire point of school was in 9th grade, when grades began to count. I remember being nervous that I would not do well in my classes and it would affect me in the future. I knew that from this point forward, every homework assignment, quiz, project, paper, and exam would be permanent and affect possible opportunities for my future; the most important opportunity being college. It was a little bit scary that a number (my GPA) and a few standardized tests would be major factors in how my future plays out. College was always a part of my plan. My parents and I share the cultural belief that "education is the principle means of achieving financial success" (Newman 279). And even though financial success does not always mean happiness, it certainly opens up opportunities and can make living more comfortable.


Me on Graduation Day
 In high school, teachers emphasized financial differences between those who go to college and those who only complete their high school diploma or GED. Nowadays, competition in schools is a lot more intense that it used to be. There is a lot more pressure to succeed, given the current job market. I was never overly stressed with high school, but still felt the pressure to succeed in my classes. I worked very hard in my classes, and took CIS (college in schools) courses to get a head start credit-wise and save money. I did not feel, personally, that loading up on AP courses was the right thing for me. I took classes I felt would challenge me, but not completely stress me out. I have always believed that balance is important in any situation.  I feel fortunate and grateful for the fact that I was able to receive scholarships, grants, and take out loans which allowed me to go to the university of my choice, Hamline. 

I am now in my second year at Hamline University, working on getting a degree in Health Sciences, and hoping  to get into a Holistic Healing grad school. My educational career has been a major part of my life; each step opening up new opportunities for my future. Although, I did not always know why school was important, my parents always pushed me to do my best and stay true to myself. I am hoping that my hard work in school will pay off, and I will be able to fulfill a career in something that I am passionate about. 

Works Cited:
Newman, David (2012). Sociology:Exploring the Architecture of Everyday Life: 9th Edition. SAGE Publications.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,

    You said...

    "In high school, teachers emphasized financial differences between those who go to college and those who only complete their high school diploma or GED."

    I recall hearing this from my teachers too, in fact I think every adult I knew told me this as I reached the end of high school. Adults that didn't attend college told me I should go, adults that did go to college told me I should go. Honestly, I did not feel like I hand any other choice. But the take away is that they always mentioned the $$$, as if that is the only point for college. Anyways, I enjoyed reading your blog!

    -Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you laid out a good progression of the education system in this country. You said that your parents pushed you because you didn't realize that school is important. What would the results have been if they didn't push you i wonder. I see this in many families where the parents don't push their kids towards school very much. Thanks for the post I enjoyed reading it and it did help to show what educational life is like in the US

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience is thoughtfully laid out. We are the lucky enough to have had preschool and been placed in higher performing groups. One thing that I will note is that I think the labeling theory comes into play here. We have been labeled as successful students, and because of this I think it has allowed us to succeed (I'm using "we" and "us" in a very general sense)- we were told we were capable, and because of that, have proven our labels right. I enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete